Warung Bebas

Friday, November 18, 2005

I fell asleep and when I woke up...

... there was a giant tropical storm right in front of me. Toto, we aren't in Kansas anymore.
Anyone else watching the weather channel out there?
Where the heck did this big ugly thing come from? ... and why?

As of 9 p.m. central time (Friday night) the storm has organized and moved northwest. The stopped running the boats at 5 p.m. today, so whoever is left here isn't going anywhere. No diving trips, no snorkeling, no laying on the beach.

All that's left to do is to sit in my shop, drink coffee, eat blueberry cake and buy art.

Tonight I dug my floater jacket out of the bottom of the closet (closet is a very loose term for the spot between two rooms that I chuck my clothes), from inside the double hefty bags I use as mildew resistant storage, because the rains have started. We're supposed to get 10 inches in the next 24 hours.

Saturday Morning Update:

The storm turned and is heading more north than west, the seas are more calm than yesterday, the wind has died down and they started running the water taxis again at 8:30 a.m. Its directly west of us now and moving slowly north.

Another near miss, let's hope its the last of the season.

May people have asked me this question. Can you get insurance? The answer is yes, but only for contents of the store. After Hurricane Keith in 2000, buildings on the beach are no longer insured by the local companies. Bigness and I have discussed this at lengh. What would we do if we get hit and this building falls down? Build again, but in concrete? I say, retire again!

0 comments em “I fell asleep and when I woke up...”

Post a Comment

 

LIVING IN PARADISE Copyright © 2012 Fast Loading -- Powered by Blogger