Warung Bebas

Friday, December 9, 2005

Changes in Plans and Missionaries on the Move

4:30 p.m. the phone rings - Is this Mr. Bigness? Be at the international airport at 10 a.m. tomorrow, you're going to Cuba.
4:31 p.m. What?

With Bigness in Cuba for eye surgery, I'm leaving today to go to Cancun to pick up Middle Child Syndrome and Baby Girl. I'll be back on Sunday. Notice to would-be burglars, I've left the wild kittens and sand crabs in charge of security.

Perhaps you don't know my feelings about missionaries, unless you've heard me rant and rave at the giant spectacles in the village park where happy (American) teenagers are bringing "The Word" to heathen children, several times a year. Maybe you've seen me scowl at the big evangelist production shows that come here to entertain the savages and to "Save" Belize. (Given my status of Missionary that I've been elevated to by my Mom and Dad - I might seem like a hypocrite) I watch in horror - teen missionaries painting faces and clowning, doing big Jesus shows, and I think - how much medicine could have been bought with one of those plane tickets, how many people donated so that their teen missionary could have a vacation on the beach?

If you want to be a missionary bring: medicine and tools. Be ready to help. Bring skills that we don't have here. Build a school, build a clinic, even build a church as long as it has a school or clinic atached to it.

Well these guys are doing that. They made a side trip stop on Caye Caulker for a few days of R & R and needed to drink some Iced Cafe Mocha and Chai Lattes - that's how I met them. But are leaving for Honduras via Guatemala today. I'm sure they will find plenty to do in Guatemala.
http://www.worldmissiontour.org/
http://www.myspace.com/riversiren
Interesting kids (anyone under 30 is a kid) They aren't afraid of anything.

0 comments em “Changes in Plans and Missionaries on the Move”

Post a Comment

 

LIVING IN PARADISE Copyright © 2012 Fast Loading -- Powered by Blogger